Thursday, January 7, 2010

Environmentally speaking, which is better to use, liquid or powder laundry detergent?

Assuming that both types of packaging are recyclable....Environmentally speaking, which is better to use, liquid or powder laundry detergent?
Your best bet is to use a tiny bit of detergent and replace the rest with baking soda and vinegar.





Its amazing how fresh this will make your cloths. We used to only use detergent to wash our sons dirty cloth diapers and they began having a little smell to them even after washing. So we switched to a very small amount of detergent and about 1/2 cup vinegar and baking soda. the diapers smell really fresh and the vinegar kills all bacteria better than detergent.





try it an see.Environmentally speaking, which is better to use, liquid or powder laundry detergent?
With a liquid, you are using fuel to haul what is essentially water when compared to hauling powder. Use the most concentrated form of whichever you use, because the ounces you save in each package will add up to tons when accumulated over populations and over time.





I like the convenience of liquids, and I do buy some for spot treatments, but I use a powder whenever I can.
I have found powder detergent doesn't always dissolve in cold water. I land up re rinsing them. I use liquid and have no problem with it. I also have a septic system, it does not harm it in anyway. I would say liquid all around.
I tend to think that liquid laundry detergent is better because


you tend use alot of water when the powder detergent does


not always dissolved in the first wash.
neither are going to have any impact on the environment.





Use what works best for your water and machine.
neither

No comments:

Post a Comment